Marriage-Based Green Card

Immigration Services | Marriage-Based Green Card
Immigration Services

Marriage-Based Green Card


Allows U.S. Citizens to Bring Over a Foreign Spouse.


The Foreign National Spouse Can Be From Any Country.


A valid marriage from anywhere is acceptable.

If your spouse is a foreign national and is currently not in the United States, you can bring them using a marriage visa.

What is a Marriage Visa?

A marriage visa is an immigrant visa petition that leads to a green card or permanent residency for a spouse of a U.S. Citizen. This process is generally utilized by couples where the foreign spouse has no current U.S. Visa and is not present in the United States. In the alternative, a spouse with a valid visa, who is already present in the United States, may be able to “adjust status” to that of a legal permanent resident. This process is often referred to as an I-130 Consular Processing Application.

What is needed for a Marriage Visa?

The requirements:

  • The person requesting the visa must be a U.S. Citizen or a Green Card Holder.
  • The marriage between the spouses must be legally valid and binding. All prior marriages must be concluded with a valid divorce. A common law marriage may be eligible for a marriage visa, as long as the country of origin views is equivalent to that of an actual marriage. However, it is best to go ahead and get married in common-law marriages.
  • The U.S. Citizen petitioner must be able to sponsor the spouse financially.
How Much Does a Marriage Visa Application Cost?

Marriage Visa Fees:

  • USCIS I-130 Fee: $535.00
  • State Department Affidavit of Support Fee – $120.00
  • State Department Immigrant Visa Fee $325.00
  • Immigrant Visa Physical Exam Fee – Generally between $150.00 – $350.00
  • USCIS Immigrant fee – $220.00

Call or visit our page on affordable low cost flat California immigration legal fees. Our fees are on a flat fee basis and we never bill hourly! So as our client you will always know your cost up front! 

What is the average processing time for a Marriage Visa?

Although the processing times often vary, most applications should be concluded within 6 to 12 months. Certain countries with higher security concerns or a large volume of visa applicants can take longer.

Are There Other Options? Six To Twelve Months is Too Long To Wait!

Certain situations may allow a couple to utilize a different type of visa and then adjust their status to a green card holder while in the United States. Don’t hesitate to contact Marriage Visa Chicago Illinois Immigration Lawyer Toma Makedonski to further discuss your particular situation.

Can The Spouse Bring Their Children?

Yes, your spouse’s unmarried and under 21 years old children can follow their parents to the United States and obtain a green card. The children must have been under 18 before the marriage if they are not the biological children of the U.S. Citizen.

Can Same-Sex Couples Apply For Marriage Visas?
Yes, same-sex couples are eligible to apply for marriage visas.
Should I Hire A Marriage Visa Attorney?

Although you may be able to prepare the petitions and go through the process on your own, submitting the petition incorrectly can lead to a denial that may have other consequences in the future. Not knowing all of the nuances involved can prolong the process and sometimes lead to minor children aging out. The process involves working with multiple agencies, including U.S. embassies that are very difficult to communicate with. An experienced Chicago Illinois Immigration Lawyer can guide you through the entire Marriage Visa process and help ensure a successful outcome.

Attorney Toma Makedonski offers a low-cost, flat fee in most cases, so you, as the client, know what your cost will be upfront. Toma Makedonski is a Chicago Illinois Immigration Lawyer with upfront, low-cost, flat fees on most immigration attorney fees.

(773) 727-5491